Because it's been a while, and my stress levels are currently off the charts, and on the philosophy why the hell not:
Following are twenty-five first lines from songs as they came up on my MP3 player, with the exception of three whose first lines would have given away the titles. Have fun identifying them:
1. Far, we are traveling far - Comin' to America, Neil Diamond (mac_arthur_park
2. Go to sleep you little baby
3. We'll be fighting in the streets Won't get Fooled Again, The Who aldonova65
4. I didn't hear what you were saying
5. You made a fool of me, but them broken dreams have got to end Evil Woman, ELO datagoddess 6. When I get older, losing my hair When I'm 64, The Beatles (in False Stereo) datagoddess
7. Praise God who has many names
8. ...when you're a stranger People are Strange, The Doors (although I do have the Echo and the Bunnymen version) mac_arthur_park
9. She was there at the bar
10. JoJo was a man who thought he was a loner Get Back, The Beatles datagoddess
11. I'm sick of picking the pieces
12. ...and I cannot lie Baby Got Back, Sir Mixx-a-Lot (actually, the mashup "Owner of a Lovely Butt", but close enough) karlgrenze 13. Oh when the sun beats down and burns the tar up on the roof Under the Boardwalk, The Drifters datagoddess
14. All alone in my room think of you at a rate that is truly alarming
15. When I was a little boy (when I was a little boy) She Loves Me Like a Rock, Paul Simon aldonova65 16. I walk along the city streets Always Something There to Remind Me, Naked Eyes cool_chick
17. California, dancing in the ocean
18. They come from the cities R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A., John Mellencamp datagoddess 19. Well we're big rock singers Cover of the Rolling Stone, Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show schizospider 20. ...Illinois central, Monday morning train City of New Orleans, The Limeliters mac_arthur_park 21. When I first met you on the roof Love Voodoo, Duran Duran cool_chick
22. How, how can it be?
23. Mystery surrounds me and I wonder where I'm goin'
24. You ask me if there'll come a time when I'll grow tired of you Never, My Love, The Association (a band, by the way, that I have seen perform live, along with Herman's Hermits, Dr. Hook & the Medicine Show, and the other Doctor band from the same era the name of which is escaping me. All thanks to one fourth of July at Knott's Berry Farm) serenejournal
25. Mesmerized, you've been sucked in by the hype
Adding a note: Several of these are kind of odd, many of them are album-only tracks, most of them are from the 80s and 00s but there are a handful of 70s tunes in there as well. There are at least two that I don't expect anyone to get, and one that was written (though not performed) by Shel Silverstein.
Some time, I'm going to do a 25 last lines of songs, or maybe movies. I dunno. One or the other.